Periodontology is a science that deals with the tissues surrounding the teeth, bone diseases surrounding the gums and
tooth roots and the treatment of these diseases.
What is Periodontology?
The tissues surrounding our teeth consist of hard and soft structures. These tissues are very important for oral health. A problem with the teeth or gums can cause tooth loss.
Periodontal diseases are inflammatory diseases affecting the tissues and gums that support the teeth. These diseases can be easily treated in early diagnosis. If the inflammation is only in the gums, it is called gingivitis. However, as this inflammation progresses, it begins to spread towards the bone tissue below. This causes destruction in the bone.
Periodontal diseases can be largely stopped and taken under control. Treatment of the dentist is not enough for the end of the disease. The patient should pay due attention to oral care during the treatment phase. Because the most important cause of these diseases is bacteria accumulating in the mouth. The number of bacteria increases very quickly in people who do not pay attention to oral care. Microorganisms consisting of bacteria are formed in the accumulation that accumulates at the junction of the gums and teeth called bacterial plaque. They feed on food waste and cause acid production.
Periodontology and Bacterial Plate
Called bacterial plaque, microbial dental plaque, or dental grime, this purulent, light yellow color is the main cause of the formation of caries, gingivitis and dental calculus that occur in our additive teeth. This add-on must be removed by mouth. This is accomplished with a highly effective and sustained oral care.
Inflammatory Gums Symptoms
Failure to use floss with tooth brushing can cause this. Tooth decay and gingivitis occur mostly in areas where the toothbrush cannot reach.
The healthy gums are slightly rough, pink and the border with the teeth is in a smooth line. Healthy gums do not bleed while eating or brushing teeth. Periodontal diseases begin with gingivitis. When gingivitis occurs, the gums appear red and larger. It bleeds when brushing gums or eating. The initial stages of gingivitis may not cause much discomfort to the person. But when the disease progresses, it can lead to irreversible damage to the bone that supports the gums and teeth.
- Bleeding to the gums,
- Inflammation between the gum and the tooth,
- Withdrawal at the gingiva,
- Sensitivity on exposed root surfaces,
- Swaying teeth.
- Light swelling,
- Bad smell and taste in the mouth,
- Blacks seen between the teeth or around the gingiva, depending on the teeth,
- It manifests itself in the form of a reddish gingiva color.
Advantages of Zirconium Teeth Coating
- Zirconia, the light transmittance of the tooth coating is very close to the light transmittance of the teeth. In this way, the coatings provide a natural appearance.
- The compatibility of zirconium with gums is much higher than other coating types. While porcelain coatings on metal cause a purplish appearance in the gums, there is no such problem in this coating.
- If you prefer zirconium, especially when getting your upper front teeth, you will have the closest look to nature.
- Zirconium coatings are more compatible with the body.
- Less tooth tissue is cut than the tooth to be made with the coating. In order to create a more natural image and reduce the image that will be reflected from metal, the dental tissue is cut more in metal-based porcelains.
- Fewer cuts in the teeth provide less cold and hot sensitivity.
- If single tooth coating is to be made, zirconium, which is very difficult to distinguish from natural teeth, is preferred.
- Metal substrate porcelain coatings create an opaque appearance on the tooth. This causes the teeth to look artificial and lifeless. Such a problem does not arise in zirconium coating.
- This treatment does not cause gingival recession and false brushing etc. It does not create a bad image in gingival recesses.
- It can be used in people with metal allergies.
- It does not cause a change in taste in the mouth.
- Thanks to its smooth structure, there is no accumulation of plaque. It is not affected by coloring foods such as cigarettes, tea or coffee. Its color remains as applied.
- It is easy to maintain. Coated teeth are brushed like normal teeth.
- When zirconium coatings are removed, it does not cause loss of tissue in the teeth.
- There is not much pain during and after the operation. There may be slight whining after the procedure.
- The coating can be made at any age. However, it is not recommended to be done before the age of 18, when the development is not fully completed.
How is Periodontology Treatment ?
In the early stages of gingivitis, discomfort can be easily eliminated with proper and effective oral care. However, if the inflammation cannot be removed, a dentist should be visited immediately. Because if the problem progresses, it can switch to the bone surrounding the tooth roots and cause much bigger problems.
When you meet with our clinic for gum disease, detailed information is obtained from you. This information is very important. During this preliminary interview, we both know the patient and the patient knows us. In this meeting, the patient’s health history, dental and gum diseases are learned. For example, diabetes patients have a higher risk of gingivitis. During the examination, your dentist can find a link between systemic diseases and gum discomfort. Because one of the first signs of some systemic diseases can be seen in the gums or oral mucosa.
The first step for periodontology treatment is to diagnose the disease correctly. For this, information obtained from the patient, radiographic evaluations are utilized from the clinical examination. After the disease is detected, the patient is informed about this topic.
The gingiva and the tooth stones around the teeth are cleaned with special devices. Polishing process is done on the tooth surface. Depending on the degree of inflammation in the gingiva, in some cases, deep cleaning can be applied to the gingival pockets and root surfaces under local anesthesia. In some cases, antibiotics may be used to support the treatment. Antibiotic therapy is used especially in acute gum infections.
When gingivitis progresses and reaches the underlying bone tissue, the bone tissue begins to melt. This causes a reduction in dental support. When this discomfort progresses much more, it can cause tooth loss. Surgical treatment may be required for advanced gingivitis. In this case, the gums are removed from the bone tissue and teeth under local anesthesia; roots, inside the gums and bone surface can be completely cleaned. At this stage, bone powders and bone grafts that help bone formation can be placed and the gums can be re-erected.
The success of periodontal treatment depends on the quality of oral care that the patient applies after treatment. If the patient does not pay attention to oral hygiene, the gums can become inflamed again. This is why controls are so important. Checking the patient at certain intervals allows any problem that may occur to be detected and treated immediately.
In Estheticana, dental and gum ailments are successfully performed. Contact us to realize your periodontal treatment to our clinic and find out the periodontology prices.