Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
In some people, deformity in the ears affects the self-esteem. This causes the person to be uncomfortable with the appearance of their ears. This can even cause psychological disturbances. Otoplasty, also called ear surgery, is no longer a problem. Every year, congenital ear deformation of thousands of people is best solved.
Why Should Otoplasty be Performed?
Every individual wants to feel confident. One of the most remarkable areas in the body, the initial deformation can disturb the person. Psychological problems arising from the appearance of prominent ears are more common in young children. This raises the need to hide the ears constantly. Thanks to modern medicine, the psychological ailments of this problem can be eliminated.
Who Can Otoplasty Be Done?
• If there are disproportionate ears,
• If the ears are outward,
• In case of distortion in the ears as a result of the accident,
• It can be done for reasons such as deformities in the inborn ears.
How Old Can Otoplasty Surgery Be Done?
Disfigurement in the ears causes many negativities, especially in children. Children who enter social environments such as nursery and primary school may experience brutal reactions due to deformities in their ears. Being mocked in a friend’s environment affects the child quite badly. This can cause school failure and decreased self-confidence. Disfigurement in the ear causes a number of problems not only in children, but also in adults.
The most accurate time for ear surgeries is generally considered to be preschool. The important thing here is that the child wants to have surgery. This operation should not be performed with the force or effect of parents. Families should not pressure children on this issue.
Otoplasty surgery is one of the most preferred operations of recent years. The fact that the operation is easy, that it can be discharged immediately and the recovery is fast convinces those who want to have surgery more easily. A surgeon who understands the patient and is successful in his job always ensures a successful result from the operation.
The problem in the ears usually happens in 2 places:
• The ear’s angle with the head is wider than it should be. This shows the ear outwards. This is especially evident when viewed from behind.
• The folds on the ear are not formed. The ear looks straight as if it was ironed.
The main thing for otoplasty surgeries is to change the shape of the ear. If the angle of the ear with the head is wider than normal, strong seams are placed at the junction of the ear and head to reduce this angle. The angle between the ear and the head is narrowed. If the patient does not have folds on the upper part of the ear, stitches are applied to the cartilage behind the ear and under the skin. A natural looking fold is created by leaning the top of the ear.
The duration of otoplasty surgery is on average 1 – 1.5 hours. Generally anesthesia is applied to children and local anesthesia is applied to adults. In the operation, the ear is brought to the angle that should be. Cartilage is shaped. Patients are discharged on the same day or the next day.
During the surgery, the cuts are made behind the ear. The permanent trace remains behind the ear and is not a problem because it is not very visible. The correction of the ears is permanent. If there is no intervention after the operation, there will be no shape change. Surgery does not shrink your ears. It just changes its shape. Natural ears stand a little bit apart from the head. It may seem very bad if the ears are too close to the head during the operation.
Before Otoplasty Surgery (Ear Surgey)
The evaluation before otoplasty surgery may vary between surgeons. One-to-one communication is provided with the patient before the operation in our clinic. The patient is examined and the patient’s wishes are listened. Before the operation, the patient should tell the doctor about his health history and the medications he regularly uses, if any.
We inform our patients clearly and realistically before the operation. We tell our patients how the ears will look after the surgery. In our clinic, quality photos are taken in order to compare the results obtained before and after the operation.
In otoplasty surgeries to be performed on children, the age of the children is important. Generally, this operation is not recommended for children under 5 years of age. However, if the surgery is delayed for a long time, psychological problems due to deformities in the ear may increase.
After Otoplasty Surgery
• Swelling and bruising may occur in the first days after ear surgery.
• Bandages are generally used after surgery. If melted stitches are used, stitches do not need to be removed.
• Mild tingling may occur after surgery. For these, painkillers to be given by the doctor will be sufficient.
• Although the healing process varies from person to person, it is an average week. You can go out a few days after surgery. You can also wash it in about 2-3 hours.
• You can go back to work in about 2-7 days.
• Long walks can be started 2 weeks after surgery and normal sports can be started after 3 weeks.
• Sports that are likely to be hit on the body, such as box or basket, should be started at the earliest 5 weeks later.
• A visible difference appears two weeks after surgery.
• Ears are largely shaped when the ears are out of surgery, except for swelling. Still, with the swelling gone, it takes 4 – 6 weeks to get the final shape of the ears.
Are Otoplasty (Ear Surgery) Surgery Risky?
As with any surgical operation, there are a number of side effects and risks in ear surgeries. Some of these risks and side effects:
• Ears getting too close to the head
• These are the risks caused by anesthesia.
Esthetic successfully performs otoplasty surgeries. You can contact us to get more detailed information about the otoplasty and to learn the prices of otoplasty or you can wait for us to contact you by filling out the contact form.