You can learn about refractive surgery with this article. It is an examination that includes the treatment of refractive errors such as astigmatism, hyperopia and myopia. Laser eye treatment has been used since the 1980s. Laser eye examination is a comprehensive examination. Thanks to the treatment methods applied to the person, it is aimed that my patients start to see the best quality after the treatment.
Medical tools and surgical procedures accepted at international standards are used in our clinic.
Intraocular lens replacement surgery is performed for patients who are not suitable for laser treatment. Thanks to these surgeries, you do not have to use glasses anymore.
Refractive Surgery: Refraction Errors
The rays coming from the external environment pass through the outermost transparent layer of the eye and focus on the yellow spot in the retina. The yellow spot is responsible for sharp vision. The focusing of the rays in a different place is called refractive errors. Refractive errors are examined in 3 groups. These;
Myopia can be defined as nearsightedness. Myopia occurs when the rays coming to the eye focus in front of the retina. It is structural. It usually starts at school age and increases over time.
Hyperopia is the inability to see near well. In hyperopia, the rays coming to the eye are focused behind the retina. Failure to treat hyperopia increases the risk of amblyopia, especially in children. The most common cause of hyperopia is hereditary and structural features.
Astigmatism is an eye condition that causes blurred vision at any distance. Astigmatism can occur as a result of infections, structural features, degenerative diseases and traumas.
Am I Suitable for Laser Treatment (Refrective Surgery)?
As a result of the examinations and preliminary examination, it can be understood whether you are suitable for laser treatment. People who meet the criteria listed below can be treated with laser.
- Those with miyobu up to -10 diopters,
- Those who are not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Those with hyperopia up to +4 diopters,
- Those who do not have a systematic disease such as rheumatism or diabetes
- Those who do not have any other diseases in their eyes (eye pressure, corneal sharpening, etc.)
- Those with suitable cornea thickness and
- People with astigmatism up to 6 diopters.
Things to Consider in Laser Eye Surgery
• Adequacy of technological equipment,
• The inspection processes are complete,
• The experience and expertise of the ophthalmologist in this field,
• Choosing the most appropriate laser treatment for the patient and
• The materials used during the surgery are disposable (personal).
Myths About Laser and Refractive Surgery
Myths about laser and refractive surgery treatment:
Wrong: Laser therapy is not reliable.
Right: Laser therapy is a safe treatment. It is FDA approved.
Wrong: Those who have laser treatment become blind after a while.
Right: Laser technology has been used since the 1980s. There is no risk of blindness after treatment.
Wrong: Cataract surgery cannot be performed after laser treatment.
Right: The laser does not prevent any future eye treatments.
Wrong: Only myopia can be Righted with laser therapy.
Right: Laser treatment can be applied not only to myopia but also to eyes with astigmatism or hyperopia.
Wrong: Can be done once laser.
Right: Laser treatment can be applied a second time, if appropriate.
Wrong: The retinal layer of the laser eye is damaged.
Right: Laser treatment is up to the cornea layer of the eye. The retina is not damaged in this treatment.
Wrong: You become color blind after treatment.
Right: Color blindness does not occur after laser treatment.
Wrong: Laser therapy is very painful.
Right: Anesthetic eye drops are used during treatment. In this way, no pain is felt.
Wrong: Continuous drops should be used after treatment.
Right: There is no need to use eye drops for life after laser treatment.
Refractive Surgery: Advantages of Laser Treatment
- Laser treatments save both time and money. As a result of the researches, people who wear contact lenses show that they spend an average of 50 hours a year to insert and remove the lenses.
- With laser treatment, you can get rid of the negativity caused by contact lenses and glasses.
- You will feel more comfortable while doing sports.
- You will be less disturbed by rainy or windy weather.
If you want to know more about laser eye treatment and refractive surgery contact us.